Immediate: March 2016
Beat food waste this Easter:
10 surprise foods you can freeze
If you’re only using the icebox for peas, pizzas and the odd tub of ice cream, you’re missing a trick. Apart from these usual suspects, your freezer can help reduce food waste and save you money – with just a tiny bit of prep.
Emma Brown, in-house nutritionist for calorie experts, Nutracheck, said: “We know we ditch over 7 million tonnes of food and drink a year, costing the average UK household around £60 a month – so any dents we can make in these numbers have got to be good.
“Lots of foods go to waste simply because people don’t realise they are freezable. We’ve rounded up 10 everyday foods you can freeze – you may be surprised by a few”.
Did you know you can freeze:
1. Leftover wine – freeze in ice cube trays and add straight to recipes (not so good for drinking!)
2. Cheese – grate and store in a freezer bag; grab a handful when you need it
3. Pasta – cook the whole pack, cool and freeze in weighed portions. Reheat by pouring boiling water over
4. Bananas – freeze over-ripe bananas with or without the skin
5. Cooked rice – if you’ve made too much, don’t bin it – let it cool then freeze it
6. Egg yolk and whites – whisk in a bowl, then pour into a freezer bag or ice cube tray
7. Nuts – freezing makes nuts last longer as it stops the oil going rancid
8. Fresh herbs – finely chop, pop in an ice cube tray and cover with water
9. Left over meals containing previously frozen meat can be safely frozen
10. Hot cross buns – a seasonal favourite right now, slice in half and freeze on day purchase; toast from frozen
Said Emma: “We should be casting the frozen net much wider – the freezer can help us all cut down on the amount that we chuck in the bin – and that’s good news.
“And it’s also helpful if you’re watching your weight. Freezing foods it’s easy to overindulge in – like nuts or hot cross buns mentioned – helps with portion control. Chocolate is another thing you can pop in the freezer – it’s a great way limit how much you eat when a craving strikes!”
– ends -
www.nutracheck.co.uk has calorie data for over 180,000 UK products.
• Nutracheck is a calorie counter and food diary available via an App and website
• Super-fast and easy to use, the barcode-scanning App lets you add food to your diary in just 2 clicks
• Nutracheck’s unique search shows photos of food to make it easy to spot what you ate from over 180,000 products in the UK food database
• Top rated diet website on www.reviewcentre.com
For more information email email@example.com or call Karen Veness on 07968 049528