West Bridgford based diet technology business, Nutracheck, is celebrating 10 years in business this year – and is already shaping how we will be dieting in the future.
With a clutch of local and national accolades, the committed local employer changed the face of dieting back in 2005 when it created a Java calorie counter programme – the forerunner of its award-winning App – which offered dieters a unique way to track their calories and lose weight on their mobile phone.
Fast-forward 10 years, and Nutracheck – already ahead of industry giants Weight Watchers in UK Apple store downloads – looks set to continue its meteoric success well into the next decade and beyond.
Said Nutracheck co-founder and MD, Tim Vryenhoef: “We had the vision, back in the 1990s, to fill a gap in the market for mobile and online weight loss solutions that customers could easily manage both on the go and at home.
“Looking ahead to the next 10 years, it’s our job to keep pace with the enormous amount of new high-tech opportunities out there and find a way to integrate these into a new wave of tech-enabled dieting. Obesity is an intractable and serious global health crisis, and digital health technology has the ability to help people lose weight in a controlled and healthy way by empowering them to take control and boost accountability.
“It’s estimated that 1 in every 4 adults in the UK is obese; if this trend continues, by 2030 half of the UK could be obese, costing the NHS an extra £2 billion per year so it’s up to us to stay ahead of the game and try to create weight loss solutions that are much more accessible.”
- ends -
Notes to Newsdesk:
10 things you may not know about Nutracheck:
- The idea of tracking food by scanning a barcode was the brainwave of Tim Vryenhoef, way back in 1995
- Nutracheck launched the UK’s first mobile diet App in 2005 – 3 years before the App Store opened
- The Nutracheck App is the No. 1 selling diet App in the UK App Store
- When Nutracheck started up, the business was based at the Nottingham University Innovations lab
- Nutracheck won a national business award for innovation two years running in 2005 and 2006
- At peak times of the year, there is a download of the App every 10 seconds
- The Nutracheck App had more downloads than Weight Watchers in the 12 months ending Sept 2014*
- Nutracheck provide tools and services for the NHS
- The independent site ReviewCentre.com rates Nutracheck as the UK’s No. 1 diet website
- In December 2014, the Nutracheck App became available worldwide
*Source: App Annie; www.appannie.com
About Nutracheck: www.nutracheck.co.uk
Nutracheck is a multi-award winning calorie counter and food diary website and App for weight loss. It was founded in 2005 by Tim Vryenhoef, Rachel Hartley and Paul Cookson and is based in Bridgford Road, Nottingham.
For more info, or to speak to Tim, please call Karen Veness on +44 7968 049528